Free Markets, Free People

PPP–Libya hurting Obama

Interesting poll especially because the US and Obama are ‘leading from behind’ in Libya and don’t have a prominent role tactically.  But that isn’t changing the fact that the majority of the public, according to this PPP poll, don’t support even that role:

Our most recent national poll found that only 27% of Americans supported the military intervention in Libya to 40% who were opposed and 33% who had no opinion. Democrats only narrowly stand behind the President in supporting the action in Libya, 31/28. Meanwhile Republicans (21/51) and independents (29/42) are considerably more unified in their opposition. [emphasis mine]

As I’ve mentioned many times, the group I always zero in on in any political poll are independents. They are the swing vote in this country.  The 13 point difference would say that on the whole Indies are not happy with the venture.   Somewhat surprisingly, Obama only enjoys very narrow support from Democrats – 3 points.

So all-in-all, Libya is a loser politically.

PPP makes an issue about American’s “not knowing” where Libya is, but still not liking it:

Libya is definitely proving to be a political loser for Obama which is interesting because only a little more than half of Americans, 58%, can actually correctly identify that it’s in northern Africa. 27% think that it’s in the Middle East, 4% think it’s in South Asia, 2% think it’s in South America, and 9% don’t offer an opinion. Voters may not be terribly informed when it comes to Libya but they know they don’t like what they’re seeing.

I take a little exception to that – Libya has and can be considered a part of the Middle East.  As a commenter on their site points out, it has been considered a part of the ME for decades:

Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as "the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east, Syria and Iraq on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south, plus the Sudan and Ethiopia."

So in reality 85% of those who were polled were correct.  It is in N. Africa and is considered a part of the ME.  As for the other 15% – public school scholars I assume.

Finally, even though Libya is unpopular, it may not be much of a game changer in terms of votes:

Libya doesn’t seem likely to be a big vote shifter next year- 52% of voters say it won’t make a difference in their decision on whether to support Obama for reelection or not. But for the voters who do say it could be a game change it’s a negative- 31% say what’s going on in Libya right now make them less likely to vote for Obama compared to only 17% who say it makes them more likely to vote for him.

Libya is one more negative to add to the pile.

As I’ve mentioned repeatedly, Obama has to do something he’s never done before – run on an actual record.  Libya becomes another negative to add to that record. 

~McQ

[ad] Empty ad slot (#1)!

14 Responses to PPP–Libya hurting Obama

  • It hasn’t been since VietNam that the Democrats lead the way on a war.  Give them time .. they will surrender.

  • It’s sad that running a campaign doesn’t generalize to a running a country all that well. I was flabbergasted in 2008 when many people, including Prof. Erb as I recall, responded to the charge of Obama’s inexperience by gesturing to his campaign as though that were definitive proof of Obama’s executive ability.

    As it turns out, making vague inspiring speeches, making nasty partisan speeches, and playing the race card have been Obama’s stock in trade while campaigning and while president but those skills don’t cut much ice in the latter case.

    • When asked about Palin’s greater executive experience, Obama himself pointed towards running his campaign. The thing is, he had (as I understand it) two people managing his campaign, he was the talent, not the manager. It was also interesting that he compared this “experience” with Palin’s time as mayor, not her time as governor.

  • I do think Obama believed that Libya was going to provide some zippy feel-good poll points and 2012 campaign bragging rights for the virtues of smart diplomacy and smart warfare Obama-style.

    Somehow all this smartness isn’t getting much done.

    • No, he was suckered in by State who was suckered in by France and the UK. We are the new Israel in the new Suez crisis.
      If we had just helped with logistics, I think Obama would be fine. Instead, we had to open the campaign for the Euros.

  • “So in reality 85% of those who were polled were correct.  It is in N. Africa and is considered a part of the ME.  As for the other 15% – public school scholars I assume.”
     
    Yes, and I wonder of the yahoo’s who can’t find Libya on the map (and who probably can’t identify states further out than the one their state is adjacent to) how many are still in support of Dear Warlike Golfer ‘saving’ the Libyans.

  • Regarding what is considered “Middle East”, I’ve always considered it to be everything that isn’t Europe that was under the control of the Later Roman Empire…

  • IF it gets much play (lots of blood, so I assume that it will), Syria will likely hurt Captain Bullsh*t more than Libya simply because Assad is unequivocally massacring people (Godaffy merely “threatened” to) and because it’s only a few weeks since Captain Bullsh*t was yapping about responsibilities to stop this sort of thing.  It’s a bit hard to hide the hypocrisy here.

  • Democrats only narrowly stand behind the President in supporting the action in Libya, 31/28.

    Given opposition to the war in Iraq, how do these Democrats square their support for the war in Libya?

    • Given opposition to the war in Iraq, how do these Democrats square their support for the war in Libya?

      “Obama is awesome.”

    • Quite a number of Obama Democrats were caught by surprise when Obama escalated the war in Afghanistan. Never mind that during the campaign he said Afghanistan was the good war, the right war, the war of necessity.

      I don’t know if these people were only hearing what they wanted to hear or whether they assumed Obama was lying for political expedience and they were okey-doke with that.

      Monday, November 23, 2009 by Dave Winer.

      I assumed that because we elected Obama to end the war in Iraq that it went without saying that the war in Afghanistan would be ended as well.
      http://scripting.com/stories/2009/11/23/noEscalationInAfghanistan.htm

  • I’ve read the Syrian security forces systematically shutdown a neighbourhood’s communications before cleaning it out. Therefore no twitter, facebook or interwebs. If there is a massacre and no one posts it on twitter, do lefty dilletante Obamaites hear it?

    • They learned that from Iran.

      What Iran also does is send out special squads with video cameras to video the protesters. They then identify them and go out and arrest them in the night.