Economic Statistics for 14 Apr 15
The Treasury Department reports that government’s budget deficit came in at $-52.9 billion in March, compared to $-36.9 billion in March, 2014. Six months into fiscal 2015, the government’s deficit is 6.3% over March 2014 at $-439.5 billion.
Producer Prices for Final Demand rose 0.2% overall in March. On a year-over-year basis, prices have fallen -0.8%. PPI-FD less food & energy was also up 0.2%, and is up 0.9% on a year-ago basis. Other components:
- PPI-FD less food, energy & trade services – M/M change: 0.2%
- PPI-FD less food, energy & trade services – Y/Y change: 0.8%
- PPI-FD Goods – M/M change: 0.3%
- PPI-FD Goods – Y/Y change: -4.3%
- PPI-FD Services – M/M change: 0.1%
- PPI-FD Services – Y/Y change: 0.9%
Retail sales in March rose a healthy 0.9% after dropping -0.5% in February.
Redbook reports that last week’s retail sales rose only 1.1% on a year-ago basis, from the previous week’s 3.4%, as an early Easter shifted dales to March.
The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index fell a sharp -2.8 points to 95.2 in March.
Business inventories rose 0.3% in February. Sales kept track with inventories, leaving the stock-to-sales ratio at a fat 1.36, the highest ratio since July, 2009.