Meta-Blog

SEARCH QandO

Email:
Jon Henke
Bruce "McQ" McQuain
Dale Franks
Bryan Pick
Billy Hollis
Lance Paddock
MichaelW

BLOGROLL QandO

 
 
Recent Posts
The Ayers Resurrection Tour
Special Friends Get Special Breaks
One Hour
The Hope and Change Express - stalled in the slow lane
Michael Steele New RNC Chairman
Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Oh yeah, that "rule of law" thing ...
Putting Dollar Signs in Front Of The AGW Hoax
Moving toward a 60 vote majority?
Do As I Say ....
 
 
QandO Newsroom

Newsroom Home Page

US News

US National News
Politics
Business
Science
Technology
Health
Entertainment
Sports
Opinion/Editorial

International News

Top World New
Iraq News
Mideast Conflict

Blogging

Blogpulse Daily Highlights
Daypop Top 40 Links

Regional

Regional News

Publications

News Publications

 
Activist Government
Posted by: Dale Franks on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Brad Plumer, over at The New Republic addresses pork spending in Washington.
[W]hile it's easy to see why small-government conservatives and knee-jerk deficit hawks dislike earmarks, there's a liberal case for supporting pork. It's not because pork projects are defensible on the merits, although they sometimes can be. It's not because they create jobs, although they can do that, too. Rather, it's because, without pork, activist government would wither and die.
I agree completely. But, unlike me, Mr. Plumer says that like it's bad thing.
 
TrackBacks
Return to Main Blog Page
 
 

Previous Comments to this Post 

Comments
Glad you said it, Dale. It’s exactly what I thought of when I read that.
 
Written By: Dave Schuler
URL: http://www.theglitteringeye.com
It’s not because they create jobs, although they can do that, too. Rather, it’s because, without pork, activist government would wither and die.
How in the hell did he say that with a straight face?
 
Written By: Jordan
URL: http://
Every once in a while (well everyday on daily KOS) the mask slips and you see what one of the lefties really thinks.
 
Written By: kyle N
URL: http://impudent.blognation.us/blog
Heh,

Over at my place I posted on this and glasnost took exception...well, with parts of it. I’ll tell him to come over and spread the love.
 
Written By: Lance
URL: www.asecondhandconjecture.com
Always remember that nearly every dollar that is wasted on medical/defense/social spending goes into somebody’s pocket. If the management take 10% (and that is really generous on my part), that leaves 90% going to people like you and me who have jobs in those industries.

I remember going to see some guy running for Congress, years ago, saying he could just take money from DOD and spend it for schools. If DOD had been burning the money, this would have been just that easy. When the folks move away when the DOD jobs dry up, there will be plenty of money for the schools.
 
Written By: Neo
URL: http://

 
Add Your Comment
  NOTICE: While we don't wish to censor your thoughts, we do blacklist certain terms of profanity or obscenity. This is not to muzzle you, but to ensure that the blog remains work-safe for our readers. If you wish to use profanity, simply insert asterisks (*) where the vowels usually go. Your meaning will still be clear, but our readers will be able to view the blog without worrying that content monitoring will get them in trouble when reading it.
Comments for this entry are closed.
Name:
Email:
URL:
HTML Tools:
Bold Italic Blockquote Hyperlink
Comment:
   
 
Vicious Capitalism

Divider

Buy Dale's Book!
Slackernomics by Dale Franks

Divider

Divider