William Mercer, the Acting Associate Attorney General, resigned on June 22, 2007.
Michael Elston, chief of staff to Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty, resigned on June 15, 2007.
Monica Goodling, Alberto Gonzales' White House liaison, resigned on April 6, 2007.
And what do all of these dates have in common? They're all Fridays. [...] The Late-Friday-Media Trick has been around since before Bush took office — release embarrassing news when it's least likely to get noticed — but no White House has ever been this shameless.
No White House?
Mack McLarty, resignation announced April 24, 1998 - a Friday.
What does it matter when things are posted, todays press is just a bunch of older woodstocks smelling blood in the water and overcovering every issue or non issue of the day.
I do not care about Paris Hilton, I have come to feel sorry for her, unless someone comes along who can straighten her out she may meet the same tragic ends of others like: Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, and yes Princess Diana before she turns 35.
If todays press corp was a sports team they would resemble 6 year olds trying to play basketball who come over to their teammate to take a handoff instead of cutting to the basket and receive a pass.
So continue your rock concert love ins, because when something happens in New York or Hollywood the rest of the world lays down its weapons and watches Entertainment Tonight.
As I recall, during the Clinton years, this was always a big gripe by Rush.
He always pointed out how bad news out of the Clinton WH (more than just resignations) was always released late on a Friday afternoon, when it would get lost in the slow weekend news cycle. Of course Rush always preferred to say that it was "after he went off the air". ;-)
The Ozark Long-March pioneered the late-Friday dump to the state of refinement that’s common today.
I don’t suppose anyone here recalls Charles Ruff and the WHCA tapes case. (Christ, I’ve forgotten more about those creeps than most people ever knew, including that twit, Marhsall.) That bastard had the subpoenaed tapes in hand and held on to them for three days until the investigative deadline ran out.
When Janet Reno "found no evidence of wrong-doing", she dropped that story late on a Friday afternoon.
Personally, I wouldn’t be so sure about that, JWG. MK has been known to argue with a brick wall, and think he won because he got the last word in.
As to Marshal or Benen, I submit that he wouldn’t be writing there, if they didn’t share the same myopic worldview. Of course, this would be the same worldview esspoused and loudly defended by by MK.
As to the point that Benen makes,that’s typical liberal... a short memory. The thing about having a short memory; not only is your conscience always squeaky clean, you think everyone else can’t remember the same things you can’t remember. After all, if you can’t remember them, they must not have occurred.
That’s why there’s always such shock and surprise expressed when they get called out on garbage like this.
It’s summer of 2007, plus four years deep into this Iraq occupation .Here’s a mature top 12 reasons that combined to trigger the 2003 invasion and perpetuate the occupation of what used to be the sovereign nation of Iraq.
1. Topping the list: Hussein was more than threatening to dump the U.S. dollar in favor of the Euro. Most readers here likely already know that- post Bretton Woods- the U.S. dollar is the reserve currency with which oil is traded on the world market. Too little commodities adding of value takes place in the U.S.A. these days. So what inevitably has followed is that the dollar had become grossly overvalued when compared to other currencies. And, the dollar is facing a precipitous crash should the Euro replace it in several countries as the oil futures reserve currency. The U.S. military just as with the 1893 take over of Hawaii is the “Mafia Don” enforcer for Wall Street shyster thieves and criminal finance oligarchs. We have destroyed the nation of Iraq to shore up the endangered overvalued dollar.
2. In second place is: Banks create money out of thin air. And, don’t kid yourself, this is the real!! handout. This spontaneously generated money is used to grant loans. The value of these “loans” is counted as additional assets of the bank, which is patently ridiculous. But, to make matters even worse, the banks receive interest payments on these phantom loans. This whole process is what is known as fractional reserve lending. War creates debt with unmatched ease and efficiency. Banks love debt. Banks crave debt. War is the life-blood of the finance oligarchs. WWI & WWII -by the way -from the debt creation standpoint were absolute windfalls .For banks, debt means wealth. The oligarchy need only create the perception in the minds of the craven, sheeple masses that there is an enemy .The false flag operations of 9-11-01 started America on this current slippery slope of groundless anxiety. The sheeple masses will always accept war once they’re flimflammed into believing the country is being attacked. George Bush is a lackey shill for the finance oligarchs and global capitalists and was more than happy to accommodate by insisting that we invade and occupy Iraq.
3. The U.S. invaded and brought about regime change in Iraq for the same reason we did in Iran with Mohammad Mossadegh, Chile with Salvador Allande, Omar Torrijos in Panama et al. Needless to say if Hussein had been a good boy and become a Wall Street, Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderberg, Rothschild rag doll like the House of Saud we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Saddam Hussein wasn’t willing to victimize his people economically such as the House of Saud was more than willing to do theirs. So we got rid of Hussein. (Reason #7 is related)
4. To establish hegemony in the oil rich Middle East with the hopes of using that hegemonic control over especially the oil resources of that region -with Peak Oil as a backdrop - as an economic weapon primarily against OPEC, Japan, the Russian Republic, and China, and other countries- Germany for example -to a lesser extent.
5. The criminal finance oligarchs had been hungry for new money laundering opportunities.BushMob/FedGov both the visible and the invisible are more than happy to accommodate this hunger. Some 28 billion (that’s billion with a “B”) dollars thus far are lost by the U.S. military, the illegal money grabbing private security firms such as DynCorp, and Kellogg Brown and Root; also by the puppet of the U.S. Iraqi Provisional Authority, the new puppet al-Maliki government; also by of course-, the Halliburtins,Bechtels,and Carlyle Groups of the world. You can bet your bottom dollar that this “missing” money” is ending up in the hands of Bilderberg, Trilateral Commission, Council on Foreign Relations, Bohemian Grove, Rothschild types.
6. To lift Leo Strauss’s philosophy off the yellowing pages of books, articles, essays, lecture notes etc. and shove it down the collective throats of the people of the earth. After all, a Neocon is by definition a person that is a proponent of Leo Strauss philosophy. Leo Strauss urged that humankind isn’t humankind until humankind reverts to that former pre-agrarian nomadic food foraging polity. Leo Strauss’ philosophy called for ridding the earth of these annoying excess six billion souls that presently draw breath. What is the new saying? Kill the brown people with asymmetric war and kill the black people with AIDS. Visit www.boydgraves.com if you dare.
7. Related to reason #3, simply sounding notice to other world leaders that if they favor the economic well-being of the general population such as did Saddam Hussein , they face forced removal by Uncle Sam. Minions of the finance oligarchs and global capitalist on order of f.i. Alvaro Uribe of Columbia or for that matter Alan Garcia of Peru are safe. Egalitarian populists in the vein of Castro, Hugo Chavez, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad need be wary.
8. The Naomi Klein reason … As long as we put up with this ludicrous system wherein a few reap profit from the labor of the many with the property rights of that few upheld and protected by that many, there will always be overproduction and over accumulation. How’s there not going to be? Swayed by free market capitalism’s insatiable appetite for additional inroads into harvesting profit, where there is free market capitalism, you can rest assured that there will always be overproduction and over accumulation. Overproduction and over accumulation in present day post industrial America tends to come from only three unconventional sources. These are fractional reserve lending, the prison industrial complex, and more than these first two combined; post cold war production of cold war level weaponry. Our way of tapping into “conventional” overproduction and over accumulation is to have the U.S. Military open up markets in militarily weak countries by overthrowing the Liliuokalanis,the Husseins,the Moussadeghs,the Allendes,the Arbenzs,the Torrijos’,and the Chavezs privatizing state owned or worker owned industries and selling those industries on the world market at remunerative prices. This is against the Geneva Conventions as well as the Treaty of Westphalia. But-hey- when has Uncle Sam ever found illegality deterring?
9. With an effusive level of chutzpa and sanctimoniousness, Israel denounced Saddam Hussein for awarding compensation to families whose homes had been bulldozed by IDF ethnocidal thugs. Overthrowing Hussein’s regime to indulge Israel makes the grade as our reason #9.
10. To provide ingress into reducing old weapons inventories and lend some justification for our brobdingnagianesque military establishment which is inordinately large –mind you –for a nation with a friendly neighbor to the North, a friendly neighbor to the South, a vast ocean to the East ,and a vast ocean to the West.
11. We needed an asymmetric invasion to test leading edge weaponry. Illegal, ethnocidal, unseemly, immoral U.S. aggression in Afghanistan was not filling the bill.
12. Lastly, to tap into and nurture racist jingoistic lust for military aggression against non-Caucasian peoples in foreign lands, a lust that all too much defines present day American culture. If we here in America can convince ourselves that there is some outside enemy, such delusion lends a welcome hand towards a need to ignore our social and economic problems. Moreover, this rallies us around the American exceptionalist “City on a Hill/Golden Calf” U.S.of A. illusion .Teddy Roosevelt –in his time- embodied and exploited this inclination.