Meta-Blog

SEARCH QandO

Email:
Jon Henke
Bruce "McQ" McQuain
Dale Franks
Bryan Pick
Billy Hollis
Lance Paddock
MichaelW

BLOGROLL QandO

 
 
Recent Posts
The Ayers Resurrection Tour
Special Friends Get Special Breaks
One Hour
The Hope and Change Express - stalled in the slow lane
Michael Steele New RNC Chairman
Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Oh yeah, that "rule of law" thing ...
Putting Dollar Signs in Front Of The AGW Hoax
Moving toward a 60 vote majority?
Do As I Say ....
 
 
QandO Newsroom

Newsroom Home Page

US News

US National News
Politics
Business
Science
Technology
Health
Entertainment
Sports
Opinion/Editorial

International News

Top World New
Iraq News
Mideast Conflict

Blogging

Blogpulse Daily Highlights
Daypop Top 40 Links

Regional

Regional News

Publications

News Publications

 
The weekly government run health-care update
Posted by: McQ on Thursday, October 11, 2007

All you have to do is sit back and scan the news and you're sure to find another example of the shortcomings of government run health care. Last week it was Japan. This week we revisit Canada:
Mothers in British Columbia are having a baby boom, but it's the United States that has to deliver, and that has some proud Canadians blasting their highly touted government healthcare system.

"I'm a born-bred Canadian, as well as my daughter and son, and I'm ashamed," Jill Irvine told FOX News. Irvine's daughter, Carri Ash, is one of at least 40 mothers or their babies who've been airlifted from British Columbia to the U.S. this year because Canadian hospitals didn't have room for the preemies in their neonatal units.

"It's a big number and bigger than the previous capacity of the system to deal with it," said Adrian Dix, a British Columbia legislator, told FOXNews.com. "So when that happens, you can't have a waiting list for a mother having the baby. She just has the baby."
Well, duh!

However, when your primary goal is to deliver health care at minimal cost, waiting lists are simply inevitable.
"The Canadian healthcare system has used the United States as a safety net for years," said Michael Turner of the Cato Institute. "In fact, overall about one out of every seven Canadian physicians sends someone to the United States every year for treatment."
And Canada isn't the only country that does so. But hey, let's get government more involved in our system too. The upside to such a move would be that Canada would most likely have to drastically increase its spending on health care. I'd sort of enjoy seeing that happen and and watching the repercussions, but not enough to let our government mess our system up.
 
TrackBacks
Return to Main Blog Page
 
 

Previous Comments to this Post 

Comments
test
 
Written By: glasnost
URL: http://
I have no idea what the blacklister is banning. You need to publicize this list.
 
Written By: glasnost
URL: http://
"In fact, overall about one out of every seven Canadian physicians sends someone to the United States every year for treatment."

I don’t like that funstat. Suppose a doctor sees 1000 patients a year and sends just 1 person to the US. You have over 85% of doctors who never send anyone to the US and then the other 15% sends just 0.1% of their cases to the US and suddenly it is 1 out of 7.
 
Written By: abw
URL: http://abw.mee.nu

 
Add Your Comment
  NOTICE: While we don't wish to censor your thoughts, we do blacklist certain terms of profanity or obscenity. This is not to muzzle you, but to ensure that the blog remains work-safe for our readers. If you wish to use profanity, simply insert asterisks (*) where the vowels usually go. Your meaning will still be clear, but our readers will be able to view the blog without worrying that content monitoring will get them in trouble when reading it.
Comments for this entry are closed.
Name:
Email:
URL:
HTML Tools:
Bold Italic Blockquote Hyperlink
Comment:
   
 
Vicious Capitalism

Divider

Buy Dale's Book!
Slackernomics by Dale Franks

Divider

Divider