Free Markets, Free People

Economic statistics

Economic Statistics for 25 Feb 16

Durable goods orders jumped 4.9% in January, while non-transportation orders rose 1.8%. Core capital goods rose 3.9%. On a year-over-year basis, orders are up 1.8% overall, but ex-transportation orders are down -0.6%, and core capital goods down -2.8%.

The FHFA House Price Index rose 0.4% in December, up 5.7% on a year-ago basis.

The Kansas City Fed Manufacturing Index slipped deeper into negative territory, coming in at -12 for February.

Initial weekly jobless claims rose 10,000 to 272,000. The 4-week average is also at 272,00. Continuing claims fell 19,000 to 2.253 million.

The Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index held steady at 44.2 in the latest week.

The Fed’s balance sheet rose $6.2 billion last week, with total assets of $4.490 trillion. Reserve bank credit fell $-11.4 billion.

The Fed reports that M2 money supply rose by $48.8 billion in the latest week.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Economic Statistics for 23 Feb 16

The Case-Shiller Home Price Index rose 0.8% in December, and is up 5.7% on a year-to-year basis.

Existing Home Sales rose 0.4% in January to a 5.47 million annualized rate. Sales were up 11.0% from a year ago.

Richmond Fed Manufacturing Index turned negative in February, falling from 2 to -4.

The State Street Investor Confidence Index slipped from 108.8 to 106.5 in February.

February’s Consumer Confidence Index fell sharply, dropping -5.9 points to 92.2.

Redbook reports that last week’s retail sales rose to a still weak 1.2% on a year-ago basis, from the previous week’s 0.7%.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Economic Statistics for 18 Feb 16

The Conference Board’s index of leading indicators fell -0.2% in January.

The Philadelphia Fed Business Outlook Survey remained negative in February, coming in at -2.8.

Initial weekly jobless claims fell 7,000 to 262,000. The 4-week average fell 8,000 to 273,250. Continuing claims  rose 30,000 to 2.273 million.

The Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index fell -0.2 points to 44.3 in the latest week.

The Fed’s balance sheet fell $-2.7 billion last week, with total assets of $4.484 trillion. Reserve bank credit rose $12.6 billion.

The Fed reports that M2 money supply fell by $-73.1 billion in the latest week.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Economic Statistics for 17 Feb 16

January housing starts fell -3.8% to a 1.099 million annual rate. Building permits fell -0.2% to a 1.202 million annual rate.

Producer prices rose 0.1% in January, and were up 0.4% less food and energy, and 0.2% less food, energy, and trade services. On a year-over-year basis, PPI-FD is down -0.2% overall, but up 0.6% less food and energy, and 0.8% less food, energy, and trade services.

With increased auto production, industrial production jumped 0.9% in January, while capacity utilization in the nation’s factories rose 0.6% to 77.1%. Manufacturing rose 0.5%, as well.

The Atlanta Fed Business Inflation Expectations Survey was unchanged in January, at an annual 1.8%. 

E-commerce retail sales rose only 2.1% in the 4th Quarter of 2015, compared to the 3rd Quarter’s 4.2% rise.

Redbook reports that last week’s retail sales little changed at a weak 0.7% on a year-ago basis, from the previous week’s 0.6%.

The MBA reports that mortgage applications rose 8.2% last week, with purchases down -4.0% but refis up 16.0%.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Economic Statistics for 12 Feb 16

January retail sales rose 0.2%, with sales less autos up 0.1%, and sales less autos and gas up 0.4%.

Import prices fell -1.1% in January, while export prices fell -0.8%. On a year-over-year basis, prices are down -6.2% for imports and -5.7% for exports.

December business inventories rose 0.1%, but a -0.6% plunge in sales drove the stock-to-sales ratio up to 1.39.

The University of Michigan’s Consumer Sentiment Index fell -1.3 points to 90.7.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Economic Statistics

Initial weekly jobless claims fell 16,000 to 269,000. The 4-week average fell 3,500 to 281,250. Continuing claims fell 21,000 to 2.249 million.

The Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index rose 0.3 points to 44.5 in the latest week.

The Fed’s balance sheet rose $2.8 billion last week, with total assets of $4.486 trillion. Reserve bank credit rose $1.6 billion.

The Fed reports that M2 money supply fell by $-0.6 billion in the latest week.


Dale’s social media profiles:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+